Basics For Bathing A Baby – Ultimate Guide By Expert
Your baby arrived smelling brand new and wonderful, but how or where do you even start as a first time mum? The truth is that bathing/cleaning a newborn or one that has been around for some week is difficult. However, your baby needs to stay clean even though they may not like it. Fortunately, you don't have to stress.
Basics For Bathing A Baby - Detailed Guide
The following basics for bathing a baby information will act as a guide on how to clean your baby.
How Often Should You Bath The Baby?
While it's argued that, how often you bath your baby is entirely up to you, research shows that regular bathing can dry out the baby's skin and lead to cracks. This is a health hazard that should be avoided at all costs. A bath once or twice a week is sufficient to keep your baby clean.
Between baths, clean your baby's face, genitals, and the bottom after the diaper change. At first, you'll find bathing your baby scary. You can have someone give you support. Remember that handling a baby takes confidence and practice. However, with time, you'll get used to it and help a fussy baby relax.
Where Should I Bath My Baby?
It's easier to begin by using a small plastic baby bath or the kitchen sink. You can also find special bath basins that are designed to wash your baby in a standing position.
When Should I Bath my Baby?
The best time would be when you're not expecting any interruptions and have all the time to devote to your baby. Also, ensure that the baby is neither hungry nor full as they may become irritable.
When the baby is newborn, you may find it easier to wash him/her during the day. However, as you get used, a bath can become part of your bedtime routine If you need to answer the door or pick up the phone, bring the baby along with you. Never leave the baby unattended even if he's in a bath seat. A few seconds and you could risk losing your child as a result of drowning.
What is The Best Way to Give Your Baby a Bath?
When starting out, bathing your baby may seem like a huge task given all the tasks you have to remember. With time, your baby gets used.
Before you begin bathing your baby. Prepare all things you need. These items may include:
- A cloth or sponge
- A basin of warm water
- Warm blanket
- Clothes to change and a diaper
- A dry, clean towel
Now you should follow following steps:-
- Start by washing the baby's face. Use a sponge and some warm water while your baby is in the water. You don't need to use a cleanser or soap on your baby's face.
- Ensure that the room is warm and that the water is about 37 degrees centigrade.
- Put in water enough to allow your child to settle in the water and that the shoulders are covered.
- Place your baby into the basin after undressing him and removing the diaper. Support the baby's neck and head using a good grip.
- Wash with a little soap.
- Use a cloth or hand to clean your baby from front to back.
- Lift the baby out and place him on a towel. Pat the baby dry and apply a moisturizing cream or lotion.
- Dress the baby and wrap him/her in a cozy blanket.